- For the Chinese variant, see Torch Kongfu Zombie or Torch Monk Zombie.
- For the versions in Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars, see Explorer Zombie (PvZ: AS) or Torch Kung-Fu Zombie (PvZ:AS).
|Special||Torch destroys plant on contact|
|Weakness||Cold attacks extinguish torch|
|Absorbs||11.75 normal damage shots|
|Weakness|| (extinguishes torch) |
(via Plant Food only)
|First seen|| Ancient Egypt - Day 9 or|
|His impressive friendly mutton chops has always kept food in them for weeks, making sure his explorations are filled with snacks.|
Explorer Zombie is a zombie in Plants vs. Zombies 2, and Plants vs. Zombies Online. It is the third zombie to be encountered in Ancient Egypt. It holds a torch that burns any plant upon contact. It moves slightly faster than regular zombies. Iceberg Lettuces, Snow Peas, Winter Melons, Hurrikales, Cold Snapdragons, Power Snow, and Freeze Mushrooms (Chinese version only) can extinguish its torch, but fire plants can relight it.
Explorer Zombie wears a pith helmet and a pair of pince-nez eyeglasses (the left lens is visibly cracked.) It has a red mustache and sideburns that wrap around its head and it holds a torch that eliminates any plant that gets in its way unless it is extinguished. Explorer Zombie wears a camper's attire that is composed of a yellow handkerchief that is tied similarly to how a person is being signified as a Boy Scout. The sleeves are totally torn as the right sleeve appears to have been cut by scissors and the left one appears to have been soaked in sweat as the edge appears to be more brown. The back is also torn, exposing a portion of its skin. It wears a light red colored belt and dark green cargo shorts. Finally, it wears brown colored boots for its footwear.
Carries a torch that can instantly destroy your plants.
Special: torch destroys plant on contact
Weakness: cold attacks extinguish torch
His impressive friendly mutton chops has always kept food in them for weeks, making sure his explorations are filled with snacks.
Explorer Zombie absorbs exactly 11.75 normal damage shots. Its appearance changes upon absorbing 6 normal damage shots before dying at 11.75 normal damage shots.
Dark Ages: Piñata Party
Alone, this zombie does not pose much of a threat, as it does not have much health. However, this zombie is very dangerous in huge waves, especially if they are protected by Buckethead Mummies, Pharaoh Zombies, or Mummified Gargantuars. If you are going to use chilling plants like Iceberg Lettuce, Winter Melon, Snow Pea, or Hurrikale, remember that fire plants like Snapdragons, Torchwoods, Pepper-pults and Fire Peashooters can relight their torches. Most defensive plants are useless against them, as they simply burn them, even if they have been upgraded by Plant Food. In the worst case scenario, using two Plant Foods on a Cabbage-pult will kill every Explorer Zombie on the screen and deal damage to other zombies. Iceberg Lettuce's Plant Food upgrade is a good method, especially on Ancient Egypt - Day 20, as it extinguishes all torches on the game screen. Explorer Zombies cannot burn underground plants, making Spikeweeds, Spikerocks, Celery Stalker, etc. completely useful.
Using Snapdragons in the same lane (or in the upper or lower lane) against Explorer Zombies is a very bad idea, since the Snapdragon's attack is close-ranged, meaning it will not have enough time to damage the zombie before it is burned or out of the range. Additionally, Snapdragons can unfreeze it and relight its torch. In fact, it's best not use any fire plants against this zombie at all. Do not use Chard Guards and Guacodiles against Explorer Zombies as they will simply burn them before they can even attack, unless Explorer Zombie is stalled by chilling plants. Also, avoid using Explode-O-Nut, as it can burn it without making it explode.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Explorer Zombie.
- If Explorer Zombie meets an unarmed Potato Mine with its torch still alight, it will walk past it without burning or eating it.
- If timed correctly, Explorer Zombie will not burn the plant when relighting its torch but will eat the plant closest to it instead.
- Explorer Zombie, (while its torch is still lit) Zombie Parrot, Glitter Zombie (during the Pop jam) and Gargantuar are the only zombies in Plants vs. Zombies 2 that can take down a Tall-nut or an Infi-nut immediately.
- However, in the case of Gargantuar, if Tall-nut (or Wall-nut for that matter) is fed with Plant Food, it will take another smash in order to kill it, yet Gargantuar Prime can overkill it by smashing it twice.
- If Explorer Zombie is buttered, its flame will freeze, but still be lit.
- If the player extinguishes the torch, they will get the achievement, No Smoking.
- Explorer Zombie is the only zombie to not have Pirate or Cowboy variants, but a Chinese variant.
- Its torch will be immediately extinguished at the moment of its death.
- Explorer Zombie cannot burn Infi-nut's force field. It will, however, chew it from a space away if its torch is still lit.
- Explorer Zombie cannot eat hypnotized zombies.
- Explorer Zombie is the only entirely paradoxical zombie in Plants vs. Zombies 2, because it appears in Ancient Egypt, more than 2000 years before the first Explorers appeared.
- Explorer Zombies can use Sandstorms, but only during Piñata Parties.
- It can burn Torchwood and many other fire plants, despite the fact that the they do not burn themselves.
- Besides the Zombot Sphinx-inator, Explorer Zombie is the only Ancient Egypt zombie that is not mummified.
- After the 2.7 update, it cannot burn instant-kill plants.
- It can burn Guacodile in its idle position and Lava Guava before it explodes.