Dolphin Rider Zombie is a zombie seen in Plants vs. Zombies. He is the 15th zombie encountered in Adventure Mode and the last zombie encountered in the Pool stage. He can be considered to be an aquatic variant of the Pole Vaulting Zombie as he can vault over the first plant he encounters with his dolphin, with the exceptions being that he moves faster and ignores any plant in the rightmost squares of the water lanes, including Tall-nuts.
The sound that the dolphin makes before jumping.
The sound that the dolphin makes that signal his arrival at the lawn.
Suburban Almanac entry
DOLPHIN RIDER ZOMBIE
Dolphin Rider Zombies use dolphins to exploit weaknesses in your pool defense.
Speed: fast, then slow (after jump)
Special: jumps over the first plant he runs into
Only appears in the pool
The dolphin is also a zombie.
The Dolphin Rider Zombie absorbs 340 damage per shot and his appearance changes upon absorbing 180 damage per shot before dying at 340 damage per shot. The Dolphin Rider Zombie does not visually degrade while he is riding the dolphin. He loses his dolphin after he jumps over a plant.
- Adventure Mode: 3-8, 3-9, 3-10, 4-4
- Mini-games: Invisi-ghoul, Zombie Nimble Zombie Quick, Last Stand, Buttered Popcorn, Dark Stormy Night
- Puzzle Mode: Last Stand: Pool, Last Stand Endless
- Survival Mode: All Pool and Fog Survival Mode levels (except Survival: Pool)
- Co-op Mode: Co-op Pool, Co-op Hard Pool, Co-op Endless
Before this zombie appears on the screen, a dolphin-like sound can be heard. This will help alert you to set up your defenses if you have not already. The best strategy for dealing with this zombie is to use Tall-nuts to block them, just as one might do for a Pole Vaulting Zombie. If you do not have a Tall-nut available, plant a Lily Pad in front of them to make them lose their dolphins, slowing them down. However, make sure you don't place it in the rightmost square, since the zombie will simply ignore it. If you have it, the Tangle Kelp is an easy way to kill them without spending a lot of sun due to the fact that Dolphin Rider Zombie can't jump over Tangle Kelp and will be instantly killed.
Note: If the player has already planted a Lily Pad or other aquatic plant in the rightmost square, the Dolphin Rider Zombie will not jump over it, as the dolphin enters the pool partway into the second column. The player should plant one in the second or third column from the right, instead.
- The Dolphin is the first zombie animal encountered in the series.
- He is the only zombie in the first game with an animal as part of the zombie.
- He will carry his Dolphin into the Player's House with it if he does not encounter any plants during his trek.
- He is the only vaulting zombie that goes in the Pool.
- His sprite is only a fraction of the size of those of other zombies. It is too small to be completely ensnared by a Tangle Kelp.
- He does not degrade while on a dolphin (in the pool), like a Bungee Zombie or Snorkel Zombie underwater.
- He has a tiny image of a brain on his swimsuit, if one looks close enough.
- He has the shortest Almanac entry of all plants and zombies in Plants vs. Zombies, with only six words, second shortest being the Ladder Zombie.
- He is invincible to all attacks (excluding instant kills besides Pool Cleaners) when jumping into the water.
- In the video "Zombies on Your Lawn", his dolphin says, "We are SO the undead" instead of "We are the undead".
- He, Bungee Zombie, Zomboni, Balloon Zombie, Jack-in-the-Box Zombie, Digger Zombie and Pogo Zombie are the only zombies that make noises before entering the lawn.
- Apart from when he is on land, he is a lot faster than the Pole Vaulting Zombie.
- There is a glitch in iOS versions of the game that when he is about to come out of the pool, he does not and instead goes though the ground and he swims in place and never goes in and forces the player to turn off the game and turn it on again.
- He seems to be the only zombie that can swim without help, unlike the Ducky Tube Zombies (which use Ducky Tubes) and the Snorkel Zombie (who uses arm floats).
- It is possible that he walks through the pool, but this is unlikely, because it has to be deep enough that ambush zombies can hide and other zombies be pulled underwater by Tangle Kelp. It is unknown how deep the pool is.
- He and Zombie Bobsled Team are the only zombies to wear all red.
- On some iOS versions, he will disappear when his head falls off.
- In the Nintendo DS version of the game, the zombie covers the dolphin's eyes.