An empty lawn during the day.
|Game||Plants vs. Zombies|
|Number of levels||34 (10 Adventure Mode, 8 mini-games, 8 canceled mini-games, 1 Puzzle Mode, 3 Survival Mode, 3 Co-op Mode, 1 Versus Mode)|
|New plants|| |
|To unlock||Available at the beginning of the game|
|<< Locations >>|
Day is the setting of the first ten levels of Adventure Mode, and is the most basic area in the game, taking place in the front yard of the player's house. Because sun falls from the sky on these levels, it is easier to attain a large number of plants, although this does not mean the player should plant as many plants as he or she can. There will also be falling sun in the pool, and on the roof. Though, at the beginning of the game, the player's lawn will only have one strip of grass, and as he or she continues, there will be more lawn strips (three in 1-2 and 1-3 and five in every other level).
The most frequently used plant on Day levels are Peashooters, as not many zombies come at first and they can take them down. Also, Sunflowers are always used as they will give the player more sun. Besides these two, the plants the player gains on this stage are the Cherry Bomb, the Wall-nut, the Potato Mine, the Snow Pea, the Chomper, and the Repeater.
List of levels
|1-1||Choice*||*||None (two added)|
|1-10||Two (none added)|
* - After first time.
|Heavy Weapon||†||Two (three of zombies)|
|Wall-nut Bowling 2||Three|
|BOMB All Together!||None|
† - Drops/Ambushes/Summons zombies.
|Art Challenge Wall-nut||Choice||Varies|
|Art Challenge Sunflower||Choice||Varies|
|Can You Dig It?||Three|
|Last Stand: Day||Five|
|Survival: Day (Hard)||‡||Ten|
|Survival: Day (Endless)||Infinite|
‡ - Console only.
|Co-op Hard Day||Ten|
Plants vs. Zombies: Journey to the West exclusive
In addition to the pre-existing ten stages, there were three bonus stages exclusive to Plants vs. Zombies: Journey to the West. They required gems to unlock.
Versus Mode takes place here.
In this stage, you only see basic zombies. The common zombie is the easiest to defeat; taking only 10 hits, a single Peashooter can kill it. The Flag Zombie only appears when a wave is starting, however Peashooters still work. The Conehead Zombie is harder to kill due to its traffic cone, although two Peashooters working together should be able to kill it before it gets too close (a single Peashooter will do for one but not multiple zombies at the same time). The Pole Vaulting Zombie jumps over the first plant it encounters, and is very fast before doing so, so don't use Wall-nuts to block it. Instead, plant a Sunflower or Potato Mine to make it jump early, after which it will be slowed. The Buckethead Zombie is the hardest zombie of these to kill; so use Cherry Bombs, Chompers, or Potato Mines to take it out, or use a combo of two Peashooters plus a Snow Pea.
- Note: Mushrooms fall asleep during this time and are of little use to you unless they are awakened by a Coffee Bean, which you will not have until partway through the roof levels. You can only achieve this after playing Adventure Mode at least once.
Music and Audio
|Day stage soundtrack|
- On shorter levels there are fewer zombies shown on the seed selection screen, and the same for the reverse. Because of this, Level 1-1 is the only level in the entire game to show the exact number of zombies that will appear in the level before it begins, with five regular Zombies. The rest of the levels are ratio based.
- This area has the biggest variety of instant kills received.
- This is the only area with no ambush zombies, along with Wild West, Neon Mixtape Tour, Jurassic Marsh, and Modern Day.
- This area has the most mini-games of any area, with eight.
- All of the Day plants reappear in Plants vs. Zombies 2 and Plants vs. Zombies Heroes.