Coffee Zombie is a premium super-rare zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Hearty class. He costs 6 to play, and has 4/3. He does not have any traits, and his ability gives all zombies on the field, including him, +1/+1 and the Frenzy trait when he is played.
His appearance seems to be inspired by a stereotypical hipster, or at least shares some traits with one; both wear a plaid shirt, sport a beard, and don a pair of glasses and a headphone. He is also holding a paper cup, which contains coffee, which he drinks when activating his ability.
- Class: Hearty
- Tribes: Gourmet Mustache Zombie
- Traits: None
- Ability: When played: All Zombies get +1/+1 and Frenzy.
- Set - Rarity: Premium - Super-Rare
He's been trying to cut back.
By himself, he is a 5/4 zombie with Frenzy, which is less than a Smashing Gargantuar, yet costing 1 more brain. However, his ability makes up for his lacking initial stats and high cost as it gives all zombies a small boost and the Frenzy trait. Just like many other cards like Team Mascot, Gadget Scientist, or Toxic Waste Imp, this zombie works best when the lanes are filled with zombies. Also, unlike the former three, Coffee Zombie can benefit all zombies, regardless of what their tribe is. Boosting them further with Monster Mash is also a good idea to make a ton of zombies stronger.
It is generally a good idea to use Coffee Zombie when there are strong zombies on the field such as Defensive End or boosted Valkyrie, which don't have Frenzy, so they can smash through plants and do massive damage to the opposing hero. You can also play him to boost Armored zombies like Buckethead or Knight of the Living Dead to make them harder to fight.
The best options are to Bounce the zombies other than Coffee Zombie, as your opponent can just play him again with other zombies on the field. Another way is to play Doom-Shroom if the zombies are very powerful. Freezing can also help, but the two aforementioned methods are better. Instant-kill cards like Squash are also recommended. Cherry Bomb might work if the boosted zombies are at 4 or less health, including Coffee Zombie. Do not use weak plants to counter him, as he will still land a shot on your hero.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Coffee Zombie.
- His ability to give all zombies on the field the Frenzy trait is a reference to hyperactivity caused by a high intake of caffeine.
- He wears glasses that resemble the glasses Computer Scientist and Arcade Zombie wear.
- His glasses are also almost identical to the ones that Zombie Middle Manager wears, but with tape in the middle.
- He is the only zombie related to coffee. All other coffee-related characters in the series have been plants (more specifically, mostly Coffee Bean and its evolutions in Plants vs. Zombies: All Stars).
- His description is the opposite of Energy Drink Zombie's.
- Coincidentally, both have larger pupils when they drink, are gourmet cards, and get +1/+1 at some point when they are on the field.