Chili Bean Bomb is an ability for the Peashooter in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare and Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2. When activated, the Peashooter launches a Chili Bean, which explodes for few seconds, dealing 175 damage to all zombies within its range. It takes 45 seconds to recharge. Its alternate abilities are Sombrero Bean Bomb and Dark Bean Bomb.
The Zombies often confuse the Chili Bean with Brainz, racing to eat it. It has a short fuse and deals massive damage to all nearby Zombies.
Running and jumping makes the Chili Bean Bomb launch farther, allowing you to stay far back while launching far enough to reach those pesky zombies. Using your Hyper before running and jumping causes a significant increase in distance compared to running and jumping without the Hyper. Use this to your advantage by using the Hyper, running or jumping towards the zombies spawns and/or teleporters, then jumping towards the nearest rooftop and escaping getting easy vanquishes and allowing an easy getaway. Also, Chili Bean Bombs can bounce off walls. This ability is very effective in Garden Ops, since all the zombies near it will approach it while it explodes. This will give you a multi-kill very easily and will give you many coins. In case the player is about to be vanquished and unlikely to be revived, he/she can toss the Chili Bean Bomb as a last-ditch effort. The Chili Bean Bomb is very good for defense in Gardens & Graveyards, as it will either force the zombies to retreat or vanquish them.
In Garden Warfare 2, the Bean Bomb is much more effective. It can be used in Herbal Assault in a similar fashion as it is in Gardens & Graveyards. The only difference is that zombies are required to stay within the zone, and may not even notice the bomb be vanquished in the flurry of chaos trying to defend the base.
If you can react fast enough you can easily get away from the Chili Bomb. Movement abilities like Rocket Leap or Energy Warp help you get away from this fast. You can use Energy Warp to push away the Chili Bombs from your allies to save them.
- The zombies running towards it and being caught in the explosion makes it similar to the pipe bomb from Left 4 Dead.
- It is also similar to the Monkey Bomb from the Zombies gamemode from Call of Duty: Black Ops.
- Before the Zomboss Down DLC, it did not release sparks when it was launched alongside its alternate ability, making them more dangerous.
- While similar in appearance, it has a different function to that of Chili Bean in Plants vs. Zombies 2.
- Chili Bean needs to be eaten and kills one zombie while stunning the others in a lane.
- However, in this game, it explodes and deals damage without a stunning effect.