- For the ability in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, see Chili Bean Bomb.
- For the alternate ability of the Chili Bean Bomb, see Sombrero Bean Bomb.
- For other usages of beans, see bean.
|Special||Eating zombie is destroyed and releases stunning gas|
|Unlocked||Beating Wild West - Day 4|
|Unlocked (China)||Collecting 10 stars in Wild West|
|He's not blushing, he's trying to hold it in.|
Chili Bean is the second plant obtained in Wild West in Plants vs. Zombies 2. If a zombie eats him, he will get stunned for 1.5 seconds before dying, unleashing a trail of gas behind him that stuns other zombies in his lane for 7.5 seconds. Chili Bean and his gas cloud does not affect mechanical enemies.
Sun cost: 50
Chili Beans deliver a crippling bout of gastrointestinal distress.
Usage: on eaten
Special: eating zombie is destroyed and releases stunning gas
He's not blushing, he's trying to hold it in.
Plant Food effect
When Chili Bean is fed with Plant Food, three additional Chili Beans will be created, landing on unoccupied tiles.
He now creates one more Chill Bean, making four Chili Beans in total.
This is a very useful "clutch plant" for quickly picking off tough zombies such as Buckethead Zombies, Knight Zombies, and Poncho Zombies, particularly when they appear unexpectedly during an ambush or are threatening endangered plants. The gas attack further expands its "clutch" ability by immobilizing enemies behind him, such as using one to kill a Knight Zombie and immobilize a Zombie King behind him. Using his Plant Food ability with Power Tiles or Tile Turnips can also flood the lawn with plenty of Chili Beans. He has a major drawback in that he requires the enemy to be able to eat and digest him, which means he is ineffective against some of the strongest enemies in the game, as they either do not eat plants (such as Gargantuars) or are immune to the effect (such as the machine enemies of Far Future). Compared to the Potato Mine, he is usually more of a clutch plant as he needs no "charge-up time", but the Potato Mine is cheaper and can damage any enemy, including multiple enemies, that approach him. For something alternate, you can use the Stunion only to stun zombies.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Chili Bean.
- If not eaten, he will release his own gas once in a while as part of an idle animation. When this happens, the Chili Bean will lose his costume if he is wearing it.
- Chili Bean can kill a Disco-tron 3000 in the Chinese version.
- When a Seagull Zombie eats a Chili Bean, the paralyzing gas comes from Seagull Zombie's head.
- In any levels with Dave's mold colonies, if the player uses Plant Food on a Chili Bean and one lands on the mold colonies, the challenge can still be completed. This happens in order to prevent the player from losing unfairly. This can also happen with the Potato Mine.
- As of the 2.1 update, Chili Bean no longer makes Pianist Zombies faint and can no longer kill multiple zombies at once, but Zombie Bulls die instantly upon eating the Chili Bean.
- If his gas stuns ten zombies at once, the player gets the Magical Fruit achievement.
- If the zombie that eats the Chili Bean is immobilized by the butter before the zombie dies, the zombie will not die but will be stunned and release gas.
- If there are only two or fewer empty tiles, and the player gives the Chili Bean Plant Food, he will create extra Chili Beans depending on the number of empty tiles.
- If there are no empty tiles, it will play the animation, but will not create any extra Chili Beans.
- This also happens to Potato Mine and Primal Potato Mine .
- If a zombie is facing backwards (via Sweet Potato's Plant Food, Prospector Zombie after his dynamite detonates, or pterodactyl) when it dies from eating the bean, it will release gas backwards towards the house.
- There is a glitch when the player plants a Thyme Warp right before a zombie dies by eating a Chili Bean, will end up staying in one spot, not being a threat.
- This also happens if a zombie eats a Chili Bean in Glitter Zombie's rainbow.
- If a fainted zombie gets pushed back by Primal Peashooter, it will continue walking for a short moment, then release gas and die.
- Chili Bean holds the record for being the plant with the shortest Almanac entry, at nine words (or 45 characters).
- There is a glitch involving the Jetpack Zombie that makes him able to eat a Chili Bean.