- For other usages of beans, see bean.
—Chili Bean's Almanac entry
|Special||Eating zombie is destroyed and releases stunning gas|
|Weakness||Robot zombies (except )|
|Unlocked||Beating Wild West - Day 4|
|Unlocked (China)||Collecting 10 stars in Wild West, beating Wild West - Day 4|
|He's not blushing, he's just trying to hold it in.|
Chili Bean is the second plant obtained in Wild West in Plants vs. Zombies 2. When a zombie eats him, they will be stunned for 1.5 seconds before dying, unleashing a trail of gas behind them that stuns other zombies in the lane for 7.5 seconds. Chili Bean and his gas cloud do not affect mechanical enemies. In the Chinese version, strong zombies such as a Poncho Zombie that are level 2 or above only suffers 90 damage from him and does not get stunned. However the zombies behind still get stunned.
Chili Bean is based on the food of the same name, chili beans. Most of the time the food is made of the species Phaseolus vulgaris more commonly referred to as pinto beans. The effect of the zombie unleashing a trail of gas is based on when you eat chili beans the bacteria on the beans make you pass more gas.
SUN COST: 50
PLANT FOOD POWER: Duplication
Chili Beans deliver a crippling bout of gastrointestinal distress.
Usage: on eaten
Special: eating zombie is destroyed and releases stunning gas
He's not blushing, he's trying to hold it in.
Plant Food effect
When Chili Bean is fed with Plant Food, three additional Chili Beans will be created, landing on unoccupied tiles.
It now creates one more Chill Bean, making four Chili Beans in total.
|Sun Cost|| Recharge|
| Plant Food Power|
|1||0||0||50||20 seconds||15 seconds||3 bites||7.5 seconds||Three||Touch|
|2||10||1,000||50||19 seconds||15 seconds||8 seconds||Three|
|3||75||5,000||50||18 seconds||14 seconds||8.5 seconds||Three|
|4||200||10,000||50||17 seconds||14 seconds||9 seconds||Three|
|5||400||20,000||50||15 seconds||12 seconds||9.5 seconds||Four|
|6||750||30,000||50||14 seconds||11 seconds||10 seconds||Four|
|7||1,000||40,000||50||13 seconds||10 seconds||10.5 seconds||Four|
|8||1,000||50,000||50||12 seconds||9 seconds||11 seconds||Four|
|9||1,500||60,000||25||11 seconds||8 seconds||11.5 seconds||Four|
|10||2,000||75,000||25||10 seconds||7 seconds||12 seconds||Five|
Chili Bean is very useful as a "clutch plant" for quickly picking off tough zombies such as Buckethead Zombies, Knight Zombies, and Poncho Zombies, particularly when they appear unexpectedly during an ambush or are threatening endangered plants. The gas attack further expands his "clutch" ability by immobilizing enemies behind him, such as using one to kill a Knight Zombie and immobilize a Zombie King behind him. Using his Plant Food ability with Power Tiles or Tile Turnips can also flood the lawn with plenty of Chili Beans. He has a major drawback in that he requires the enemy to be able to eat and digest him, which means he is ineffective against some of the strongest zombies in the game, as they either do not eat plants (such as Gargantuars) or are immune to the effect (such as the machine in Far Future).
Compared to the Potato Mine, he is usually more of a clutch plant as he needs no "charge-up time," but the Potato Mine is cheaper and can damage almost any enemy, including multiple enemies, that approach him. As a weaker alternate to Chili Bean, you can use Stunion, as he's cheaper and works more quickly, but he only stuns zombies, as opposed to Chili Bean killing one and stunning the rest in the lane.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Chili Bean.
- If not eaten, he will release his own gas once in a while as part of an idle animation. When this happens, he will lose his costume if he is wearing it.
- He can kill a Disco-tron 3000 in the Chinese version. This is fixed in an update.
- When a Seagull Zombie eats him, the paralyzing gas comes from Seagull Zombie's head.
- In any levels with Dave's mold colonies on earlier updates, if the player uses Plant Food on him and one lands on the mold colonies, the objective can still be completed. This can also happen with any other plants that create duplicates of themselves with their Plant Food ability.
- As of the 2.1 update, he no longer makes Pianist Zombies faint and can no longer kill multiple zombies at once, but Zombie Bulls die instantly upon eating the Chili Bean.
- If his gas stuns ten zombies at once, the player gets the Magical Fruit achievement.
- If the zombie that eats him is immobilized by butter before the zombie dies, the zombie will not die but will be stunned and release gas.
- If there are only two or fewer empty tiles, and the player gives the him Plant Food, he will create extra Chili Beans depending on the number of empty tiles.
- If there are no empty tiles, he will play the animation, but will not create any extra Chili Beans.
- This also happens to Potato Mine and Primal Potato Mine.
- If a zombie is facing backwards (via Sweet Potato's Plant Food, Prospector Zombie after his dynamite detonates, or pterodactyl) when he dies from eating the bean, he will release gas backwards towards the house.
- There is a glitch when the player plants a Thyme Warp right before a zombie dies by eating a Chili Bean, where they will end up staying in one spot, not being a threat.
- This also happens if a zombie eats him in Glitter Zombie's rainbow.
- If a fainted zombie gets pushed back by Primal Peashooter, he will continue walking for a short moment, then release gas and die.
- He holds the record for being the plant with the shortest Almanac entry, at nine words (or 45 characters).
- If Jester Zombie eats him while spinning, he will not become stunned and release gas.
- In recent versions of the game, Chili Bean may not cause zombies to die when eaten. Sometimes he will get eaten but the zombie will be unaffected.