Chemist is a Super Rare variant of the Scientist in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare and Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2. He is a very exaggerated variant of the Scientist's power at close quarters combat. The Chemist's weapon of choice has a much further width of deviation, but only goes approximately one to three feet away from the player. He deals 40 damage in Garden Warfare and 35 in Garden Warfare 2 at any range. Dealing this damage can easily take out enemies, since there is no character that deals better damage at close range like the Chemist other than the Marine Biologist.
The Chemist Zombie spends his time taste-testing unstable chemical concoctions. Despite his appearance, he insists he's no worse for wear.
The Chemist's Beaker Blaster is extremely effective at close range!
The Chemical Beaker Blaster (Beaker Blaster in Garden Warfare 2) is the primary weapon of the Chemist. The facts below apply to a fully upgraded weapon.
- The Chemist's weapon will not deal any damage past 1 to 2 meters or so, making mid-range and long-ranged combat impossible.
- The close range damage per hit base and critical damage is 40 (Garden Warfare), 35 (Garden Warfare 2).
- The max DPS at close range is 72.7.
- The spread splash damage from the weapon deals 40 damage (Garden Warfare), 35 damage (Garden Warfare 2).
- The ammo in a clip is 8 (6 in Garden Warfare 2).
- The reload time is 2.5 seconds.
- The projectile speed is slow.
- The weapon is a semi-spread weapon.
- The bloom is low.
Sticky Explody Ball
Sticky Explody Ball is an explosive ball which explodes when an enemy plant is in a meter radius. It deals 50 damage.
With Warp, the player teleports to a location in preferential vision. The player deviates upward to go up stairs, small fences, etc.
Zombie Heal Station
The Zombie Heal Station heals all zombies within its radius.
Mega Heal Bomb
An alternate ability of Sticky Explody Ball, Mega Heal Bomb is a huge ball like the Sticky Explody Ball with a bigger radius. Heals all zombies in its radius by 50 health.
An alternate ability of Warp, Energy Warp allows the Scientist transferred into a pure energy that travels with the ability of invincibility. The Scientist is able to travel freely but can neither jump nor attack. It also gains a small speed boost.
Armored Heal Station
An alternate ability of Zombie Heal Station, Armored Heal Station heals at a slower rate than the Zombie Health Station, and self-destructs the same time as the Zombie Heal Station. Its incredible size allows players to jump on it to get to most buildings.
Sticky Cheetah Ball - GW1 Only
An alternate ability of Sticky Explody Ball, Sticky Cheetah Ball is orange in color with black spots, deals 75 damage.
Cheesy Warp - GW1 Only
An alternate ability of Warp, Cheesy Warp has the same use as Warp but deals 30 damage to all plants after reaching its destination.
Cheetah Heal Station - GW1 Only
An alternate ability of Zombie Heal Station, Cheetah Heal Station heals at a faster rate, but also self-destructs faster.
Heal Beam of Science - GW2 Only
The Heal Beam of Science is the Computer Scientist's first activatable ability. Similar to Heal Beam, it will heal any zombie targeted by it, healing faster the closer the Scientist is to the healed target.
Experimental Reload Kabob
The experimental reload kabob enhances reload speed.
Unobtanium is compressed allowing for higher ammo capacity.
Enhanced Unobtanium Spray
Chemically formulated to vanquish Plants faster, the Unobtanium Spray boosts damage output.
Unlocking (Garden Warfare only)
The Chemist is unlocked by reaching Level 10 with the Scientist. Each Level starting with 5, excluding 6, will reward the player with a single character piece until all are unlocked, at Level 10. If the player did not reach level 10 in Garden Warfare but plays Garden Warfare 2 they will be able to collect the missing stickers to unlock this variant.
The Chemist's objective is to take out clustered groups of plants, as his weapon deals massive damage up close to an area of plants. However, like the Zoologist, the weapon has an extremely short range, and only hits close range, so close range combat must be done. Compared to the Marine Biologist, the Chemist does less damage to a target and a longer fire rate in exchange for area of effect. This makes the Chemist more versatile in certain situations, such as getting into gardens in Gardens & Graveyards. Taking on singular targets is still a good option, as 35 damage close range is still a good number to take out all but the bulkiest plants. Though if singular targeting is your style, the Marine Biologist is a better choice. If group damage is more important, this variant and the Zoologist are interchangable.
- ▼ Damage was reduced from 40 to 36.
- ▼ Rate of fire was reduced from 100 to 95.
- ▼ Damage was reduced from 36 to 35.
- He is currently the only playable character that does not actually increase his weapon's damage when obtaining the damage increase upgrade.
- This is not true in Garden Warfare 2.
- His upgrades include a chemical element called "unobtanium." It is misspelled, the correct one is unobtainium and it is used to describe an extremely rare element.
- He received a nerf in the Tactical Taco Party DLC, PopCap decreased his clip size from 10 to 6 (12 to 8 with the upgrade), Chemist's range was also decreased a small but lethal bit.
- His primary weapon is similar to a Stubby Shotgun from the Grand Theft Auto series which also can do high damage in a point-blank range.
- He, Mechanic, and Super Commando are the only returning characters whom have a name change to their primary weapon in Garden Warfare 2. For the Chemist, is called Beaker Blaster instead of Chemical Beaker Blaster.
- He underwent several design changes in Garden Warfare 2:
- The rim of his safety goggles is now black instead of white.
- His safety goggles are also no longer cracked, albeit he still wears them upside down.
- His weapon's beakers appear to have a cone-shaped barrel on each of them.
- His pants, shoe, and backpack straps appear to have a slightly brighter brown color.
- His pants' damage model is similar to the Camo Ranger.