A mushroom is a fleshy, spore-bearing, fruiting body of a fungus, typically produced above ground on soil or on its food source. The mushrooms' projectiles are Spores and Fumes. They are plants that are active at Night and sleep during the Day. They can be woken up during the day by having a Coffee Bean planted on them. In Plants vs. Zombies 2, mushrooms do not sleep during day anymore. Five of them from Plants vs. Zombies were returned, however one has become a premium plant, and there are three new mushrooms, Spore-shroom, obtained in Neon Mixtape Tour, Perfume-shroom, obtained in Jurassic Marsh, and Toadstool, which is a premium. In the Chinese version, there are three new mushrooms, Freeze Mushroom, and Flame Mushroom, which require puzzle pieces to unlock, and Magic Mushroom, which is a monthly special plant.
- Mushrooms are not classified as plants in real life. They are classified as fungi, which are in real life closer to animals than plants.
- Fume-shrooms and Magnet-shrooms are the only mushrooms that can be upgraded, however, only the Gloom-shroom is a mushroom. Gold Magnet is a normal plant.
- Puff-shrooms and Sea-shrooms are the only mushrooms that cost no sun.
- There is an achievement called No Fungus Among Us which requires to complete a nighttime level without using mushrooms.
- There is also an achievement called Good Morning which requires to complete a daytime level with only planting mushrooms and Coffee Beans.
- All mushrooms in Plants vs. Zombies have the disadvantage of falling asleep during daytime.
- Sea-shroom is the only aquatic mushroom.
- In real life, Psathyrella aquatica is currently the only known mushroom to be observed to grow underwater.
- It looks like all the mushrooms stretch when the Coffee Bean is planted on them.