His first appearance is in a mission where the plants need to retrieve a present Crazy Dave was going to give to Dave-bot 3000.1. However, when the plants open the present, Captain Smasher appears from inside of the present. Crazy Dave then says that he got Dave-bot 3000.1 a 'large crusty pirate', who then says that he wanted a 'large crusty pie'. He can only be fought solo in the Boss Hunt mode.
Along with the ability to smash nearby plants, like the Gargantuar, he can also fire explosive cannonballs at a long distance. Much like the Royal Hypno-Flower, Captain Smasher possesses a unique ability to activates every time he loses a fourth of his health. When this happens, Captain Smasher's pirate curse activates, cursing all of the players. The players then have a minute and a half to destroy several Barrel Pirates that also carry the curse. Failing to vanquish the Barrel Pirates in the time limit will result in instant vanquish for all players, forcing them to use a Self-Revive and revive their teammates.
Like Royal Hypno-Flower, Captain Smasher relies on his curse to stop Plants from attacking it. You need to vanquish the Cursebearers before the timer runs out. If they are not vanquished within the time limit, you will be instantly vanquished. Vanquishing all of the Cursebearers will revive any teammates that are down, so reviving teammates isn't a priority when the Cursebearers appear.
You may need to have AIs to help you. Sunflower, Rose, Kernel Corn and Chomper are a great way of defeating it. Rose can use its Time Snare to slow it down, Sunflowers can heal, the Chomper can eat the Cursebearers quickly and the Kernel Corn to do mass damage.
Keep in mind that Rose variants are not able to damage the Cursebearers, so having a group of Roses to tackle this boss is not advised.
- In the launch trailer for Garden Warfare 2, Captain Smasher can be seen in the Seeds of Time medieval themed portion.
- The candy that is used to lure it out is called Jolly Rogers, which is a reference to the Jolly Ranchers candy.
- However, the Jolly Rogers candy is "Lemon flavored", and there is currently no lemon flavored Jolly Ranchers candy.
- The Jolly Rogers also has a picture of a Swashbuckler Zombie on it.
- Captain Smasher appears to have a crow's nest on his back, which would most likely hold an imp.