Captain Deadbeard is a token zombie card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Crazy class. He is made by Barrel of Deadbeards, but can also be made by Zombot Plank Walker, transformed from Interdimensional Zombie or Portal Technician, or transformed by Transformation Station or Evolutionary Leap. He costs 3 to play, and has 4/3. He does not have any traits or abilities.
His description references the "Pirate's Life for Me" song from Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Class: Crazy
- Tribes: Mustache Pirate Zombie
- Traits: None
- Ability: None
- Set: Token
Yo ho ho! It's a pirate's unlife for him!
- ▲ Brain cost change: 4 → 3
- ▼ Strength change: 5 → 4
- ▼ Strength change: 4 → 2
- ▲ Health change: 3 → 4
- ▲ Ability added: All Pirates get Strikethrough.
- Class change: Crazy → Sneaky
- Set change: Token → Event
Reverted all changes from Update 1.18.13:
- ▲ Strength change: 2 → 4
- ▼ Health change: 4 → 3
- ▼ Ability removed.
- Class change: Sneaky → Crazy
- Set change: Event → Token
Captain Deadbeard hits pretty hard and can take a chunk out of the plant hero's health, or heavily damage and destroy a majority of plants in one attack, most likely weakened by the explosion from Barrel of Deadbeards. However, if Captain Deadbeard is threatened by a plant that can destroy him, making him do a bonus attack is helpful since he has high strength, though only Professor Brainstorm can normally do this. Since Captain Deadbeard is a pirate zombie, Impfinity can boost him with Swashbuckler Zombie as long as he does damage to the plant hero, which Impfinity can easily do by moving Captain Deadbeard with Smoke Bomb or by having Captain Flameface on the field.
Captain Deadbeard may look like a threat. Sure, he hits hard, but there are many cards that can destroy him in one hit, like Fire Peashooter. If Captain Deadbeard is summoned at the end of the turn, play said cards to block and destroy him. If he is summoned in the Plants Play phase, they will still survive Barrel of Deadbeards' ability and destroy Captain Deadbeard unless it is a Wild Berry or a Peashooter + Torchwood combo. A way to not defeat him, but simply render him useless is to not place any damaging plants in the lane that Barrel of Deadbeards is placed, as he is only summoned by Barrel of Deadbeards once it is destroyed.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Captain Deadbeard (PvZH).
- He is one of the three new classes from Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 that is not a playable hero in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, the second being Kernel Corn and the third being Hover-Goat 3000.
- He was the only token card to turn into an event card so far at one point.
- He was also the second token card overall to become obtainable through normal means, the first being Backup Dancer.
- Coincidently, both are zombies in the mustache tribe and can be made by another zombie, Barrel of Deadbeards in this case.
- On the old title screen, the eyepatch on his hat was plain black, while in-game, his eyepatch was black with a gray cross on it.
- On the multiplayer menu, his card, and the Rank 47 profile picture, a Parrot Pal appears on his hat, but it does not appear anywhere else.
- His idle sound effects also sound similar to the Parrot Pal in Garden Warfare 2, possibly hinting that it was removed at some point in development.
- Parrot Pal is spotted in his textures as well.
- Parrot Pal did appear on his hat prior to an update, however.
- This may be due to the fact that almost all cards are in a maximum of two tribes and thus, did not include the pet tribe.
- Captain Deadbeard can be Conjured by Unexpected Gifts. This is mostly a bug since Captain Deadbeard was once an event card, but was later replaced by Captain Flameface.