In the Plants vs. Zombies series, brains are the favorite food of the zombies and the incentive for zombies attacking the player. In Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Plants vs. Zombies Heroes and Versus Mode, they are the zombie equivalent of sun.
Plants vs. Zombies
In parts of the game, some zombies can be seen showing brains on pieces of their clothing or equipment. For example, the Zombie Bobsled Team has a brain picture on the front of their bobsled and the words "Brains or Bust" written on the side. The Dolphin Rider Zombie's Speedo-type outfit has a picture of a brain on it, the Snorkel Zombie has a shirt with the legend "I ♥ Brains," and the Flag Zombie carries a red flag with a picture of a brain on it. One of the Chinese zombies in the bottom of the achievement page has a takeout box with a picture of brains on the side.
Additionally, a game over message in green blood saying "THE ZOMBIES ATE YOUR BRAINS!" will appear along with a "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" if the zombies get inside the player's house.
The brains are given a vital role in the Xbox Live Arcade and Nintendo DS versions in Versus Mode as the zombies' equivalent of sun. They are used to place zombies in a similar manner to placing plants in order to attack the opponent's lawn and try to eat their brains. Much like sun, brains will fall from the sky anywhere in the three lanes controlled by the player who is playing as zombies, and will be produced from Zombie Gravestones at the same rate that Sunflowers produce sun.
Plants vs. Zombies Adventures
In Plants vs. Zombies Adventures, brains serve a big purpose in Brainball. They are used as the scoring system. Players have to hide brains in their buildings and get brains from other people's buildings. To do that, they have to send zombies and win the attack. Brains do not count for the score if they are not stored in buildings. If the player attacks another player's town and gets brains, then the brains will automatically be placed in the Player's Town.
Plants vs. Zombies 2
Brains do not have any usage in Plants vs. Zombies 2, unlike its predecessor. Like other games, when the zombies enter the player's house, a message says "THE ZOMBIES ATE YOUR BRAINS!," and an image of a brain on a silver plate with a bite taken out of it is shown. If the player taps on the brain, it will squiggle around and make a squishy sound. The same brain also appears at the bottom of the credits. A brain also appears on one of Jester Zombie's plates on his costume during the Thanksgiving Food Fight Piñata Parties.
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Unlike all previous games, in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, the objective of the zombies are not eating the player's brain. Brains only appear on the zombie side of Boss Mode. It serves a similar purpose as sun, as in Zomboss Boss Mode brains drop from the sky and need to be collected in order to build healing, spotting, and reviving stations, or make cone bombardments to support the team. Each falling brain collected worth 25 brains.
Plants vs. Zombies Heroes
Unlike the other games in the series, in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, zombie heroes use brains to play cards when in a match. When a match starts, the zombie hero starts with one brain, and this total increases by one after each turn. There are several cards that give or remove the amount of brains the zombie hero has.
- Brain Vendor gives the zombie hero three brains upon being played.
- Gentleman Zombie give the zombie hero two brains when it is the zombie hero's turn to play tricks.
- Brainana removes all the remaining brains the zombie hero has when played.
Plants vs. Zombies
|Zombie||25 or 50 (depends on version)|
|Pole Vaulting Zombie||100|
|Screen Door Zombie||100|
|Trash Can Zombie||50|
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
|Boss Mode abilities||Brain cost|
|Superb Zomboss Radar||75|
|Reviving Brainz BBQ||250|
|Zomboss Healing Station||100|
The screaming sound that can be heard when the player loses.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Brain.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies
- The green blood on the game over screen could be one of the main reasons why Plants vs. Zombies is rated E10+ by the ESRB.
- In Zombiquarium, one brain costs five sun. This is odd because in Versus Mode, one gives five times the amount of power one costs. Of course, these are in two completely unrelated game modes and maybe a brain costs 5 sun and it gives 25 sun.
- Several zombies use pictures of brains on items they use or carry, like the Zombie Bobsled Team, which has a brain on their bobsled, or the brain on the Flag Zombie's flag.
- The clouds in the HD version of Plants vs. Zombies iPad in the Roof levels are shaped like brains.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies 2
- If the player touches the picture of the brain after losing, it will make a "squish" sound and squish by tapping it.
- Despite the zombies are trying to eat the player's brain, Jester Zombies in Food Fight parties actually hold a pan with a brain (in his costume).
- A brain also appears when the player fails any normal objectives in a level after the 1.7 update, and on Save Our Seeds levels.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
- This is the first game in the series where the zombies do not try to eat the player's brains.