Body-Gourd is a galactic legendary plant card in Plants vs. Zombies Heroes, and a member of the Guardian class. He costs 5 to play, and has 3/6. He has the Amphibious and Team-Up traits, and his ability immediately fills all 8 segments of the plant hero's Super-Block Meter when he is played, allowing the plant hero to block the next attack directed to them. This ability does not activate if the plant hero has already blocked 3 times.
His name is a portmanteau of "bodyguard," referring to his ability and appearance, and "gourd," the plant he is based on.
His earpiece and sunglasses allude to the stereotypical outfit of bodyguards.
- Class: Guardian
- Tribe: Squash Plant
- Traits: Amphibious, Team-Up
- Ability: When played: Fill your Super-Block Meter to full.
- Set - Rarity: Galactic - Legendary
He moonlights as a decorative center piece during the fall.
- Added to the game.
On his own, a 3/6 plant along with the Amphibious and Team-Up traits can help you protect a fragile plant behind or block a dangerous threat in one lane. However, the main benefit is this plant is his ability, as it allows you to instantly block the next attack. This ability can be used to survive a single dangerous hit from a strong zombie and get a superpower to turn the tides of the game, unless said zombie has the Bullseye trait.
However, the downside is that this plant can deplete your Super-Block Meter easily, meaning once you've blocked 3 times, you cannot block any more damage from any zombie. Also, due to there only being three charges on the Super-Block Meter, it may not be worth it to put four of these in a single deck, as the last Body-Gourd's ability will be completely useless, although you may still use him as an offensive wall.
Also, while your opponent may not damage you on the next attack, they can use the aforementioned Bullseye zombies, which don't activate any blocks. Or, they can manipulate your Super-Block Meter with Monkey Smuggler or Shieldcrusher Viking; the latter is the biggest counter of all, as Bullseye trait means the damage will still go through, and he will reset the block meter anyway, wasting Body-Gourd's ability.
This plant allows your opponent to guarantee a block from the next zombie that hits them, so don't rely on just one strong zombie if you are playing against any Guardian hero. The best way to counter this ability would be to play Shieldcrusher Viking, who will drain your opponent's Super-Block Meter; your opponent can't block his attack either due to his Bullseye trait. Other Bullseye zombies can freely attack your opponent too, but most of them aren't very powerful. The next best thing you can do is to use a cheap (and generally weak) zombie to waste the Super-Block so that a stronger one can land a hit without any risks. But beware, as your opponent will gain a superpower either way.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Body-Gourd.
- Body-Gourd is one of the very first galactic cards found in the game (by means of datamining). It has been in the game since update 1.0.11, its first release.
- Though, it did not have the same abilities as its current version. Body-Gourd was a galactic super-rare (Or Set 2 R3 card, which basically means galactic - super-rare in code). Its ability was, in quote of the game: "When Played: Your Block Meter goes up by a Double Charge." Back then, the game used terms to describe what kind of block chances you'd get, and a Double Charge was worth 4 block meter ticks. It also retained its original stats, but didn't have Team-Up or Amphibious.