Barrel Blast is the first ability for Captain Deadbeard in Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2. When used, Captain Deadbeard hides in a wooden barrel with a fuse on it. The player triggers the fuse which leads to the explosion of the barrel after a certain amount of time. When Captain Deadbeard is in the barrel, he will move slower than usual, but after he triggers the fuse, he moves faster. The explosion does up to 150 splash damage to the plants. The player also takes 75% less damage while in the barrel. Its counterpart is Looty Booty Barrel Blast.
Hop inside your trusty barrel to shield yourself from attacks, but that's not all! Light the fuse and run towards your Plant foes an explosive surprise.
This should be used either as a sneak attack or as a way to get away from the plants. You should never run into the plants in your barrel when you're at low health. So overall, this ability can be used in a similar fashion to the Turbo Twister.
- ▲ Barrel armor damage reduction increased from 0.75 to 0.25
- Made some movement speed improvements to his barrel when unlit
- Added the ability to cancel out of the barrel without lighting the fuse (ability still goes on cool down)
- This ability may be a reference to a gameplay mechanic from Sly 2: Band of Thieves. The character Sly Cooper could hop into a barrel of TNT as a disguise and sets the fuse to blow when necessary, similarly to how Captain Deadbeard uses the barrel to sneak in and lights the fuse at will.
- Previously, it used to have a 25% damage resistance. This was increased to 75% in the January 2016 update.
- The last sentence of its Stickerbook description seems incomplete. It should be "Light the fuse and run towards your Plant foes and give them an explosive surprise."
- Its name is an example of alliteration.