The barrel is a type of armor that has different purposes in different games, including Plants vs. Zombies Adventures, Plants vs. Zombies 2, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, and Plants vs. Zombies Heroes.
In Plants vs. Zombies Adventures, the barrel is worn by Barrel Zombie; it increases this zombie's health. If the barrel gets destroyed, they will move faster.
In Plants vs. Zombies 2, the barrel is used by Barrel Roller Zombie to crush plants. It contains two Imp Pirate Zombies, which will be released after the barrel is broken. Spikeweed, Spikerock, Bamboo Shoot, and a hiding Cactus can destroy it instantly. Like other shields, it blocks Snow Pea's slowing effect and lobbed shots will hit the zombie, instead of the barrel.
In Plants vs. Zombies Adventures, the barrel absorbs 12 shots before breaking and does not degrade. It can be instantly destroyed by Flaming Pea, leaving nothing but a pile of planks left.
In Plants vs. Zombies 2, the barrel absorbs 52 normal damage shots and degrades upon 20, 40, and 52 when the barrel is destroyed. It can be instantly destroyed by Spikeweed, Spikerock, or hiding Cactus.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies Adventures
- The barrel had three x's on it, which meant that it contained an alcoholic beverage.
- In Barrel Zombie's Facebook description, it said that the Barrel Zombie bought it at a barrel store.
- At the end of the Plants vs. Zombies Adventures trailer, a Barrel Zombie was shown below the title. It was soon attacked by a lone pea, which destroyed the barrel. The zombie was then completely naked, with the nudity pixel-blurred.
Specific to Plants vs. Zombies 2
- Four eyes can be seen through it. They belong to the Imps.
- There are also three x's, but there are only two visible, because one is cut by the hole with eyes.
- †: Metallic