Banana Launcher is the fifth and the last plant obtained in Big Wave Beach of Plants vs. Zombies 2. The player can tap on him to arm him, then aim at any tile on the lawn to fire an explosive banana that deals 60 normal damage shots to all zombies in a 1x3 area. After firing, Banana Launcher will be disabled for 20 seconds before he can be fired again.
SUN COST: 500
FIRING RATE: Slow
Banana Launchers can fire explosive bananas at any tile on the lawn.
Usage: tap to arm, tap on target tile to fire
Range: anywhere on lawn
Special: on impact, explodes in small area
It's important to avoid stereotyping as much as possible. Stereotypes are often flat-out wrong. And also hurtful. But honestly ... Banana Launcher is TOTALLY bananas.
Plant Food effect
When given Plant Food, he will launch four explosive bananas at random targets on the lawn. In the Chinese version, he will fire five bananas.
He now launches five normal bananas and a flaming banana which creates an explosion that deals more damage.
|Sun Cost|| Recharge|
| Firing Rate|
|1||0||0||500||5 seconds||3 bites||60 nds||20 seconds||Tile|
|2||10||1,000||475||5 seconds||3.5 bites||62.5 nds||19 seconds|
|3||75||5,000||475||4.5 seconds||4 bites||65 nds||18 seconds|
|4||200||10,000||450||4.5 seconds||4.5 bites||70 nds||17 seconds|
|5||400||20,000||450||4 seconds||5.5 bites||75 nds||16 seconds|
|6||750||30,000||425||4 seconds||6 bites||80 nds||15 seconds|
|7||1,000||40,000||425||3.5 seconds||6.5 bites||85 nds||14 seconds|
|8||1,000||50,000||400||3.5 seconds||7 bites||90 nds||13 seconds|
|9||1,500||60,000||375||3 seconds||8 bites||95 nds||13 seconds|
|10||2,000||75,000||350||3 seconds||9 bites||100 nds||12 seconds|
Compared to other controllable plants, Banana Launcher is special in that the player is given the freedom to launch his payload on any tile on the screen, regardless of any possible obstruction between the plant and the designated position, similar to Missile Toe and Holly Barrier. This makes Banana Launcher excellent for eliminating high threat targets such as Zombie Kings, Fisherman Zombies, and Imp Cannons that would normally be heavily protected. His main weaknesses are his massive 500 sun cost and his cooldown time between firing, which makes him an impractical choice in normal levels.
In Big Wave Beach, Banana Launcher can be used as an improvised countermeasure against Octo Zombies. Not only is it capable of neutralizing them before they can throw their octopi, if the player is fast enough, he can also destroy thrown octopi from anywhere and free the trapped plant. The latter is not recommended, however, as Banana Launcher takes much longer to recharge than the time taken for the Octo Zombie to throw another octopus, even when the zombie is slowed.
Banana Launcher's high damage capability makes him a powerful artillery weapon: Most high health zombies such as Knight Zombies, Blockhead Zombies, Mecha-Football Zombies, and Cavalry Zombies can only survive up to two bananas, while certain Gargantuars can take up to three. His projectile can not be deflected by any means, so Banana Launcher is effective against Jester Zombies and Parasol Zombies.
Another strategy is to use Banana Launcher with plants that can clump zombies together: Sweet Potato, Garlic, Chard Guard, Hurrikale and Thyme Warp are all capable of funneling or clumping the horde together, which allows Banana Launcher to hit more enemies. It's also a good idea to use blocking plants such as Tall-nuts and Primal Wall-nuts to give Banana Launcher time to recharge.
Plants vs. Zombies Wiki has a gallery for Banana Launcher.
- He cannot be planted on minecarts, due to issues associated with a tap either moving the mine cart, or activating the target of Banana Launcher. If the player tries to plant him on a minecart, the game will say "Bananas are too slippery for minecarts."
- In Big Wave Beach - Day 23, the player can launch a banana from the Banana Launcher while viewing the lawn from the seed selection screen. However, it will still look like it does when it's loaded.
- Banana is one of the few plants that talk, saying "Banana" when firing normally and saying "ba-ba-ba Banana" when using Plant Food.
- The player used to be able to destroy graves using Banana Launcher on any Last Stand level before tapping "Let's Rock". However, it is no longer possible after the 3.1.1 update.
- The player was also able to fire bananas after the level has ended and the reward has dropped. This was also fixed in the 3.1.1 update.
- Using only Banana Launcher to kill zombies in a Big Wave Beach level will give the player the Banana Storm achievement.
- His eyes are red and straight in the bingo card while he's in-game appearance has brown eyes and they are crossed. His smile in the bingo card is also different from the one he has in-game.
- His costume has the same design as the pajamas on the characters in Bananas in Pajamas, despite being a beach towel.
- He is very similar to Cob Cannon as they both require the player to tap on it and aim and need to reload after firing. It is also even more similar to Missile Toe.
- The only difference is that the Cob Cannon is an explosive, multi-use instant kill plant and can kill any zombie in a 3x3 area, like the Cherry Bomb. The Banana Launcher only covers a 3 side by side tile area and for some zombies, cannot instantly kill them.
- For example, if it was against a full health Buckethead Zombie, one banana missile can only remove its bucket and its arm, not killing it instantly, compared to the Cob Cannon.
- In the Chinese version, when fed with Plant Food, he will make firework noises when it launches its bananas.
- He also had the same area of effect as a Cob Cannon in the Chinese version, but this was fixed in the 1.4.2 update.
- He is one of the six plants based on bananas.